Cordless chainsaws are a popular choice for many consumers today. They are lightweight, quiet, emit no fumes, are comfortable to hold, require little or no maintenance, and allow complete freedom of movement.
I’ve reviewed 8 battery powered chainsaws that are among the best in the marketplace today. I examined many features – what type of warranty it has, how reliable the machine is, how easy is it to use, what are its safety features, how is it’s cutting performance, and much more.
Please read on to find out which cordless chainsaw is the right one for you.
Our Top Cordless Chainsaws:
- Greenworks 20312: best model for everyday homeowner jobs, low priced, excellent cordless company
- DEWALT DCCS620P1: In my opinion, the best cordless chainsaw on the market today, 20V with brushless motor, expensive
- Makita XCU03PT1: powerful, variable speed, 36V chainsaw from a well-known brand
- Toro PowerPlex 51880: newer model on the market,
cross compatiblebatteries with other PowerPlex tools
- BLACK+DECKER LCS1240: small-sized, homeowner focused product, well priced
- Worx WG322: auto chain tension, 20V, lowest priced model, small & compact
- Oregon CS300-A6: self sharpening system, brushless motor with 40V battery & good warranty
- Sun Joe ION16CS: 600 W brushless motor, 16″ self lubricating bar and chain, comes with blade cover for storage
Best Battery Chainsaw Reviews
1) Greenworks 20312 40V Cordless Chainsaw
- Brushless motor provides more torque, more power, less hand shaking, and a extended run-time
- Low kickback chain and chain break included for increased safety of user
- Fully charged 40V 4Ah battery performs up to 150 cuts on one single charge
- Chain bar is a little thin and will bend and flex in thick wood
- Oil port and groove in bar is small and clogs easily
The Greenworks 20312 claims to produce 30% more torque and about 80% longer life with its lithium ion battery. It can compete with some entry-level gas-powered models.
I also like how the oil reservoir port is transparent so its easy to see the fluid level.
This machine features a safety chain break, an automatic oiler,
This is my pick for the best battery powered chainsaw!
2) DEWALT DCCS620P1 20V MAX Brushless Cordless Chainsaw
- Ergonomic lightweight (12.2 pounds) design, comfortable trigger grip
- 20V 5.0Ah lithium-ion battery
- Comes with hard bar cover, battery charger
- Some oil leaks out if the oil tank isn’t emptied after each use
- Would like to see better runtime
The DEWALT DCCS620P1 is a top-of-the-line 20V 12.2-pound brushless chainsaw with a 5.0Ah battery that is perfect for outdoor cutting wood.
The battery is interchangeable across other DEWALT products such as their miter saw.
3) Makita XCU03PT1 Lithium Ion Cordless Chain Saw
- This kit includes the chainsaw, an 18V Optimum Dual-Port Charger, and 4 quick-charging LXT 18V Lithium-Ion 5.0Ah batteries
- This chainsaw features a front handguard that has been specially engineered to actuate the chain break when it’s engaged
- “Tool-less” chain adjustment
- Trigger grip switch is hard to engage
The Makita XCUO3PT1 provides more power, less noise, and zero emissions, as well as a lot less maintenance
It has a variable speed motor, 940 FPM, and emits only 100 decibels. Battery and charger included.
4) Toro PowerPlex 51880 Battery Powered Chainsaw
- Very well built
brushlesschainsaw motor for reliability & durability Batterycan be used across other PowerPlex Power Tools
- Well balanced and super simple to use
- Some of the plastic parts feel cheap to me
- Rubber on the handle doesn’t feel very durable and is too thin for my liking
The Toro PowerPlex 51880 is a new model this year. Toro is well known for their gas powered yard tools and they have made a good impression with their battery line-up as well.
The 51880 using the same PowerPlex battery as the other tools in their line, so you don’t need to buy extra batteries to use all their tools. This is becoming common place with lots of brands.
This unit has a tool free chain tensioning system, simple start, variable speed trigger and automatic oiler. The 40V 4Ah battery is plenty powerful enough for most homeowners and will last up to an hour of usage – depending on how hard you run it.
I also love the red color and the overall look of this tool.
5) BLACK+DECKER LCS1240
Lithium Ion Chainsaw
- 40V lithium-ion battery holds a charge for up to 18 months
- Auto-oiling system features an easy visibility window for gauging oil level
- Quiet electric motor cuts approximately 30 8” logs with one fully charged battery
- Uses a lot of oil
- Battery charges slowly
The Black & Decker LCS1240 provides fast, efficient cuts and serious cutting power, without having to prime it or keep the chain and bar lubricated
This lightweight tool helps to eliminate user fatigue and has a full wrap-around handle, a 12” Oregon bar and chain, and one battery charger included.
Normally priced very competitively, this is a good everyday chainsaw for the average homeowner.
6) Worx WG322 20V Battery Cordless Chainsaw
- Small & compact
- Automatic tensioning system
- Battery level indicator is helpful
- The chain break feels cheap
- The batter is pretty weak and doesn’t last
The Worx WG322 is a fabulous little chainsaw for small projects around the house. It is very lightweight and has decent power to cut through smaller branches and trees.
It’s not going to replace your gas powered saw, but that’s not the point of this tool. The 20v max battery doesn’t last all that long in my opinion, but it’s fine for small jobs.
I wish it came with a cover for the chain bar.
7) Oregon Cordless CS300-A6 Chain Saw
- Very quiet operation – completely silent between cuts
- PowerNow battery pack provides increased run-time and instant start
- PowerSharp Precision saw
systemfor chain sharpening is built in
- Must use a special Oregon chain to use the self-sharpening feature
- Front handle is all plastic and I could see breakage issues occuring
The Oregon CS300 is a high performance, high power, and torque brushless motor. It can cut about 400 branches of 2-3” diameter on one battery charge
This machine requires no oil and gas mixing, no warm-up, and no pull cords. It provides an fast start with no emissions.
I love the ergonomic design – I could use this product all day and not get tired.
8) Sun Joe ION16CS Cordless Chain Saw
- 600 Watt, brushless motor is powerful enough for most homeowner jobs
Self lubricatingOregon bar and chain
- Comes with protective storage sheath for bar
- Some of the plastic parts feel cheap and creek when pushed
- Priced a little high for what it is in my opinion
I didn’t think I was going to like the Sun Joe ION16CS as much as I do. It gets great customer ratings, so I figured I’d check it out.
It’s a powerful tool from a solid company. It has a 40V lithium ion battery, 600W brushless motor,
It does feel a bit cheap to me and I think it is priced too high for what it is, but if you can find one on sale, this is a great machine!
How I Rated The Chainsaws
I read and carefully studied hundreds of reviews with the objective of providing you with the best cordless chainsaw to buy.
The pros and cons of each cordless chainsaw were carefully considered. I looked at the safety features, power output (voltage), noise, cutting performance, ease-of-use, and battery runtime, warranties, relative cost, and more.
I also evaluated the pros and cons of all the models included in my best chainsaws list.
Below are the pros and cons of the cordless chainsaws reviewed. I hope that my battery powered chainsaw reviews will help you to make a
When purchasing any cordless chainsaw, it is essential to consider how reliable the machine is and it’s warranty rating.
The chainsaws that I recommend have a consumer warranty between 2 to 4 years. If you plan on using the chainsaw for commercial applications, you should contact the manufacturer to see what type of warranty they offer.
Cordless chainsaws might not have the horsepower of gas saws, but they generally have plenty of power output for most people.
You should consider the voltage and amp hours of the battery. The higher the rating, generally the more powerful the machine and the longer it will last.
Noise & Vibration
Cordless lithium ion battery pack chainsaws generate significantly less vibration and noise than gas-powered chainsaws.
Users are generally very satisfied with the experience of working with an almost silent machine
Cordless chainsaws are even quieter than many corded electric products. Many of the chainsaws I recommend have a standard anti-vibration handle, which is an improvement from the old days when the handle was directly attached to a chainsaw’s engine, and a user suffered the effects of vibration.
Despite the smaller size of some of these cordless chainsaws, users are consistently impressed with their range of cutting power. An average 40V battery powered chainsaw will quickly cut through limbs and branches in the 4″-6” range, as well as larger branches that are 10″-11” wide
Many cordless chainsaws have a number of safety features installed
Almost all now have a chain brake that will stop the chain mechanically if there’s ever a kickback.
Some chainsaws have an Electronic Protection System (EPS) that will shut down a chainsaw automatically to prevent it from overloading or overheating.
Ease Of Use
Battery-powered chainsaws are easy to use, easier to carry, and extremely easy to maintain. You still need to wear the proper protection when using a cordless chainsaw, but in general, they are easy to use than gas models.
Battery Run Time
Battery run-time depends on voltage and amperage
Some chainsaws can make up to 90
Pros & Cons Vs. Gas And Electric
- Electric powered chainsaws are quiet, intuitive, and clean. They make almost no noise, and there’s no smoke or emissions
- Battery powered chainsaws can be used in the suburbs or anywhere that quieter landscape maintenance is needed. There’s no need to worry about noise regulations
- Cordless chainsaws are perfect if you only need to maintain small or medium sized trees
- An electric chainsaw is lighter, more portable, and very easy to use
- User fatigue is significantly reduced
- Cordless chainsaws provide clean battery power
- Gas chainsaws smell and eject dirty fumes into the atmosphere – this is not environmentally friendly
- Gas chainsaws are very noisy and can lead to unhappy, complaining neighbors, and potential ear damage
- The batteries on a cordless chainsaw need to be frequently recharged
- Battery chainsaws aren’t designed for heavy-duty cutting
- Cordless chainsaws typically cost more
Difference Between Cheap And Expensive Chainsaws
When shopping for a cordless chainsaw, don’t just buy what is cheapest. Some cheaper models do not come with batteries or the batteries don’t last very long.
- More expensive chainsaws will produce more power and have more cutting speed
- The higher cost provides better batteries that will work longer
- Top of the line models may handle a branch or tree larger than 16” thick
- Pricier models should be more reliable, and be ready for use on a daily basis if necessary
- High-priced chainsaws tend to have ergonomic, rubberized,
shapedhandles and power triggers
- Premium chainsaws also usually have automatic chain oilers, simple start buttons and tool-less chain tensioning
- DEWALT and Makita are top of the line saws that have
- Batteries might take hours to recharge, as compared to better batteries that will take only 30-60 minutes to recharge. One solution here is to buy back-up second and third batteries
- Cheaper models will generally only handle smaller branches or trees
- If you push a cheaper chainsaw to work too hard, it may be damaged or even cause safety problems
- Cheaper models are useful if you’re only using it to perform small jobs every couple of months
Best Selling & Top Rated Brands
- Sun Joe
How Much Should I Expect To Pay?
You should expect to pay between $100 to $350 for a cordless chainsaw. The price will depend on the features that you want.
After a comprehensive review of many cordless chainsaws online, my number one pick is the
- Our Greenworks brushless motor provides your Greenworks tool with longer run-time, more torque and...
- Compatible with Greenworks G-MAX 40V Li-Ion System offering a range of tools to choose from; Run...
- Brushless motor delivers up to 30% more torque for the greatest cutting performance; Oil Tank :...
- Brushless motor design offers up to 70% less vibration for user comfort while working. 1 battery...
This a very high-quality chainsaw that has a bar tightening knob to enable the right bar-clamping force, tool-free chain tensioning, and auto-oiling continuous lubrication. Plus the battery lasts a long time.
This is the one that I own and comes highly recommended from me.
Last update on 2022-05-18 / Affiliate links / Somes Images and Data from Amazon Product Advertising API