Table of Contents
A hedge trimmer (also known as a bush trimmer or shrub trimmer) is primarily used for trimming, pruning, or cutting hedges and bushes.
If you are looking to buy a new hedge trimmer, I would strongly recommend a cordless model. In general, they are lighter, easy to use and maintain and less expensive than gas-powered models. Although they may not be ideal for commercial applications.
Our Top Hedge Trimmers:
- BLACK+DECKER LHT2436: best cordless hedge trimmer for most homeowners, priced right, good power and lightweight design
- DEWALT DCHT820P1: high powered, great combination of features & price
- EGO Power+ HT2402: 56V power from a very reliable cordless brand, 24″ length with long runtime
- Milwaukee 2726-20: very good hedge trimmer, solid
3 yearwarranty, brushless motor delivers good power
- Makita XHU02M1: solid product from
top-notchmanufacturer, up to 2 hourruntime with short charge times
- Greenworks 22262: 24″ battery powered hedge trimmer, designed to reduce vibration, rotating head for all cutting angles
- Worx WG284: dual 20V batteries product 40V of maximum power, handles branches up to 3/4″ thick
- Husqvarna 115iHD55: perfect for medium to large size properties, priced very competitively
Best Cordless Hedge Trimmer Reviews
1) BLACK+DECKER LHT2436 Battery Hedge Trimmer
- Dynamic 40-volt lithium-ion battery provides a long runtime
- Dual-action blade vibrates significantly less
- Single charge allows approximately 6,000 square feet of hedges trimmed
- A few customers have said the motor burnt out prematurely
- Not as quiet as competitors
The Black & Decker LHT-2436 has a professional shearing blade which rapidly cuts branches 3/4 inch thick or less.
The trimmer features a wrap-around front handle which offers a comfortable, soft grip area during all cutting orientations. Its battery pack is interchangeable with other BLACK+DECKER products.
The lithium battery lasts about an hour which should be sufficient for most homeowners.
It is noisier than competitors, so if that is a concern, you may want to consider another model.
My recommended choice for most people!
2) DEWALT DCHT820P1 Battery Powered Hedge Trimmer
- 22-inch dual-action blade cuts extremely well
- Lightweight and compact 7 1/2 pound design
- Features long-lasting 5.0Ah high-capacity lithium battery
- A few people complained that it felt out of balance because of where the battery is positioned
- Not for commercial use
The DEWALT DCHT820P1 is ready to go right out of the box. Its steel blades are a good length to reach hard to get areas and are extremely sharp. It’s much lighter than most gas trimmers, and it cuts through hedges like a pro.
It can cut through 3/4″ branches easily.
This model comes with a 3-year limited warranty and 1 year of free service.
If you own other DEWALT cordless products, you can most likely share batteries with this tool. You can even buy just the hedge trimmer and save money not buying batteries.
3) EGO Power+ HT2402 Cordless Hedger
- Very powerful 56V lithium ion battery compatible with other EGO products
- 24″ hardened steel, dual action blade for added cutting capacity
- Long 5 year warranty
- Expensive compared to competitors
- Quite a few users complained about the lack of customer support
If you are looking for a powerful gas replacement, the EGO Power+ HT2402 hedge trimmer may be a good option for you.
The unit is powered by a very strong 56 Volt battery – that is compatible with other EGO Power products. Even with a battery this powerful, it still has good runtime of up to an hour.
The HT2402 feels heavy, mostly because of the weight of the battery, but well constructed and balanced. It also does a good job at limiting vibrations.
It has 24″ hardened steel, dual action blades that provide precision cutting power. The added blade length allows you to get to tough to reach branches.
Great product, highly recommended.
4) Milwaukee 2726-20 Hedge Trimmer
- Compatible with other M18 Fuel system products
- Very durable, commercial level construction
- POWERSTATE brushless motor provides extra power
- No option to buy with the battery & charger
- Center of gravity makes using tool feel heavy
The Milwaukee 2726-20 is a commercial grade battery powered hedge trimmer. It has the ability to cut branches up to 3/4″ thick and provides a 2 hour runtime – when paired with the 9.0 battery.
It features a very durable
I would probably have ranked this tool even higher if it could be bought with the battery and charger.
5) Makita XHU02M1 Lithium-Ion Hedge Trimmer
- Provides approximately 2 hours of run time using the lowest setting on the 4.0Ah battery
- Increased cutting speed of 1,350 SPM delivered by the Makita-built powerful high output motor
- 5 cushions inside the motor housing provide an anti-vibration design that helps to minimize any vibration
- Expensive compared to competitors
- Doesn’t handle thick branches as well as it should
The Makita 18V XHU02M1 features a 22-inch blade and a special battery-capacity warning system – the motor stops and a light goes on to indicate that the battery needs to be recharged.
The Makita Lithium-Ion 18V battery has the quickest charge time in its category, so it spends less time on the charger and more time working.
The XHU02M1 delivers approximately 1,350 SPM for increased cutting speed. It weighs a light 7.4 pounds, which makes for reduced operator fatigue.
It has a lower noise level of 87dB(A), which means that it’s 25% quieter compared to other cordless trimmers.
Another special feature is this machine’s two handed operation – its motor becomes activated only when the top handle and switch are both engaged. This safety feature means that if either hand slips out of its grip, this machine shuts down instantly, so there’s no danger of any injury to fingers or hands.
It comes with a plastic sheath which will protect the blades when they’re not being used.
I do think this product lacks a bit of power compared to other Makita cordless products.
6) Greenworks 22262 40V Hedge Trimmer
- Rotating handle makes cutting at multiple angles easy
- 40V 2.0 battery offers plenty of power for most jobs
- High quality 24″ steel blade
- Doesn’t handle thicker branches well
- A few users have complained that the motor stutters under load
The Greenworks 22262 is a lightweight, high quality hedge trimmer. It’s motor and battery combination offer good value, but in some cases can be under powered. This product is not meant for commercial applications.
It has a 24″ steel blade with a rotating handle. This combo makes it easy to cut all sorts of angles. Very useful feature that competitors don’t offer.
The battery lasts approximately 1 hour which is fine for most uses.
7) Worx WG284 40V Dual Battery Hedge Trimmer
- Dual 20V batteries for 40V cutting power
- Very comfortable, ergonomic design and vibration dampening handle
- Can cut branches up to 3/4″ easily
- Heavier than expected
- I prefer 1 battery systems
I’m a big fan of Worx products and the WG284 doesn’t disappoint!
It has plenty of power for larger branches and lasts for about an hour or so. It’s not meant for commercial use, but I can see landscapers having it around as a backup….it cuts that well. The 40V power and 24″ bar are a solid combination.
I’m not a fan of the 2 battery system. I just seems to add another complication to the process. I’d rather just have 1 larger battery to deal with. Luckily, these batteries do recharge quickly, so that’s a plus.
This unit is heavier than it looks….about 3 pounds more than most competitors. Due to the extra weight, this may not be the best hedge trimmer for smaller people.
8) Husqvarna 115iHD55 Hedge Trimmer
- “Save Mode” which allows the battery to last longer than competitors
- Extremely quiet operation lets you work during off hours
- Would prefer a 24″ blade
- Could use more power
Husqvarna has really stepped up their cordless tool game. The 115iHD55 is well designed hedge trimmer.
The tools “Save Mode” is a cool idea that helps to extend battery life. Also the brushless motor is well built and provides extended runtime – most users got about 90 minutes of use.
The 115iHD55 does feel a bit under powered for a Husqvarna product. Most people think of Husqvarna as a gas powered brand so they expect plenty of power. This doesn’t quite live up to that hype.
It is very, very quiet which is great if you have to work later in the evening or early in the morning. I also really like the color and design.
What Is a Hedge Trimmer Used for?
Hedge trimmers are primarily used for shaping bushes and hedges, but they also have other uses.
Many people use their hedge trimmers to cut down thick ornamental grasses. Pole hedge trimmers are frequently used for cutting low bushes as well as high ledges without having to use a ladder.
Many of the best hedge trimmers handle limbs up to 3/4 inches with ease.
Hedge trimmers are useful for trimming both formal and informal hedges. Formal hedges should be trimmed 2-3 times a year, and informal hedges will probably only need trimming once a year.
Hedge trimming is best performed in the Fall and in the Spring since the majority of hedges do most of their growing during those two seasons. If you want your hedges to have a beautiful, symmetrical shape, cut through branches first, then use strings as guidelines.
Trim the sides of your hedges wider at their base so that the exposed leaves will get maximum sunlight.
How to Determine the Best Hedge Trimmer to Buy
Electric Hedge Trimmer
A corded hedge trimmer is quiet, easy to use, and practically maintenance free. There are no exhaust fumes, pull cord, or oil or gas to mess with. They are very affordable.
Their big disadvantage is that your range will be limited since you must use an extension cord. Cords can be very dangerous if they are accidentally cut!
Electric hedge trimmers are best for people who have a smaller yard with hedges and shrubs that lie near an electrical outlet. Corded models typically do not come with long extension cord, so that is an added expense to consider as well.
Gas Hedge Trimmer
Gas powered trimmers are very powerful and cut thick branches cleanly and quickly. They give you the freedom to roam around your property without being tethered to a cord.
They are less environmentally friendly and tend to be more expensive than other hedge trimmers.
Care must be taken to precisely mix gas and oil in the correct proportions.
Cordless hedge trimmers have become increasingly popular because of the new, long-lasting, powerful lithium ion batteries available.
Cordless electric trimmers allow the user to roam freely around their yard. They produce no exhaust, start quickly and require neither oil or gas.
If you know how to operate a hedge trimmer safely, they are fun, economical, and easy to use.
- Begin cutting at the bottom of a hedge and slowly work up to the top. Use a steady, slow pace.
- Never expose your power tool to wet or rainy conditions and don’t touch the tool or charger with wet hands.
- Stay alert when using a hedge trimmer.
- Eye protection is recommended, as are sturdy gloves, safety glasses, and non-skid shoes.
- Never operate when barefoot.
- Avoid accidental starting.
- Don’t overreach.
Take care when operating on uneven grounds, on slopes, and in slippery conditions.
Don’t wear jewelry or loose clothing when operating a hedge trimmer.
Make sure that the motor is completely stopped before clearing a blockage or cleaning.
Keep all body parts away from cutting blades. Carry your hedge clipper by its handle and make certain that the cutting blade is stopped. Keep this appliance away from children.
Only use your trimmer in daylight.
First of all, don’t use water to clean a battery powered hedge trimmer; it’s very possible that it could damage its internal mechanics.
Lubricate the blades after each use to keep the blades from rusting, and to make sure that the blades will continue to slide easily in the future. After lubrication, turn on your hedge trimmer to make certain that lubricant manages to coat the blade thoroughly.
Store your trimmer in a dry, clean area.
Make certain that your blades are sharp by using a flat-crosscut sharpening file. If the blades can’t be sharpened, and you’ve noticed that it occasionally has gotten snagged on branches, you will need to have the blades replaced.
- Poulan Pro
- EGO Power+
In my opinion, the BLACK+DECKER LHT2436 is the best cordless hedge trimmer on the market for most homeowners. It provides an excellent combo of price, power and runtime.
I don’t have many hedges, but when I need to trim them, this is my go to product!