Nothing keeps my lush green lawn in tip-top shape like a premium riding mower. In the world of garden tractors, few companies have provided innovative and quality products as effectively as Simplicity has. With a century of experience manufacturing cutting-edge mowers in the USA, Simplicity Manufacturing is a brand Americans can count on.
Choosing a mower is a huge responsibility and not something to be taken lightly, so I will give you the details on where Simplicity riding mowers are made and who manufactures and owns them. Then we’ll look at their awesome products and discuss why your lawn needs them.
Where In The US Are They Made?
Based out of Port Washington, Wisconsin, Simplicity is a privately held manufacturing company of lawn tractors, mowers, and snow throwers. Simplicity manufacturing acquired the Snapper brand in 2002 and added those products to their line as well.
While Simplicity is located in Port Washington, it is unclear if all of the garden tractors, mowers, and all their parts are exclusively made in the USA or if some parts are shipped to and then assembled in the States.
Who Owns Simplicity Mowers?
Like many companies whose existence has spanned a century, Simplicity has had several owners and has absorbed several more companies throughout the decades. A common question asked is, does Briggs & Stratton own Simplicity? The simple answer is: Yes, they do!
In 2004 Briggs and Stratton acquired Simplicity and all their subsidiaries for $227.5 million. Currently, the Allmand, Billy Goat, Branco, Briggs & Stratton, Ferris, Simplicity, SimpliPhi, Snapper, Vanguard, and Victa brands are all manufactured and marketed through Briggs & Stratton.
100 Hundred Years of Simplicity
Founded in 1922 by William J. Niederkorn, Simplicity began making riding garden tractors in 1939. During World War 2, Simplicity temporarily stopped the production of riding tractors from 1941 to 1945.
The US tractor manufacturer Allis-Chalmers purchased the company in 1965. The company was bought back by Simplicity management in 1983 and began acquiring other brands such as Deutz-Allis Lawn & Garden Equipment, Massey Ferguson Lawn & Garden Equipment, and Snapper. Eventually, in 2004 Simplicity was purchased by Briggs & Stratton.
- 1922 – Founded by William J. Niederkorn.
- 1939 – Began building walk-behind 2-wheeled tractors.
- 1941-1945 – To satisfy the War Production Board’s requirements, they paused work on tractors and made electric fence controllers and external surface grinders.
- 1957 – First riding tractor model, “Wonderboy,” is constructed.
- 1960-1964 – To meet the growing number of Americans moving to the suburbs, the company rapidly increases its product line.
- 1965 – Simplicity manufacturing is acquired by Allis-Chalmers manufacturing.
- 1983 – The former managers of the acquired Simplicity buy back the company and continue business expansion efforts.
- 1989 – The Middlesworth company of Greentown, Indiana, a manufacturer of zero-turn mowers, is purchased by Simplicity.
- 1990 – 1996 – Simplicity took over manufacturing and selling the Deutz-Allis Lawn & Garden Equipment and Massey Ferguson Lawn & Garden Equipment.
- 1997 – Simplicity celebrates its 75th anniversary with a special tractor model.
- 2000 – Purchased the manufacturing company Giant-Vac.
- 2002 – Snapper was bought by SImplicity as the company had experience building Massey Ferguson Lawn & Garden Equipment years prior.
- 2004 – Simplicity was purchased by Briggs & Stratton for $227.5 Million.
- 2022- Celebrates 100 years of innovation and dependability in the premium mower industry.
What Does Simplicity Manufacturing Produce?
Simplicity offers many products that help you keep your lawn clean and maintained no matter the season or situation. The machines and tools Simplicity provides are built for convenience, power, precision, and comfort.
Lawn & Garden Tractors
- Simplicity supplies a range of lawn and garden tractors designed for any yard. Garden tractors are equipped with power steering, push-button starting, and electric height-of-cut adjustments.
- Powered by Briggs & Stratton’s impressive engines, you can expect durable components, reliable starting, and an engine that delivers power when you need it.
- The Free Floating Mower Deck with full-width rollers follows the contours of your lawn, reducing the risk of scalping. The cuts are accurate, and the rolls bend down fresh cut grass for ball-park stripes.
- Tractors feature the automotive-inspired Suspension Comfort System. This two-point system delivers 25% less impact on the operator compared to traditional mowers. The effectiveness of the impact reduction is based on your lawn’s terrain and the maximum speed of the model.
Zero Turn Mowers
- Simplicity provides commercially-inspired but residentially-formatted zero-turn mowers designed for advanced comfort. The Suspension Comfort System found on their premium zero-turn mowers incorporates two or four-point suspension for increased efficiency and a revolutionary mowing experience.
- The customizability of the engine options provided by Briggs & Stratton means your zero-turn mower will have the power it needs for any job. A variety of options include entry-level engines all the way up to a Vanguard with Oil Guard Technology for longer periods between maintenance.
- With unparalleled maneuverability, the Simplicity line of zero-turn mowers has independently controlled rear wheels that allow for precise steering. The zero radius turning is an ideal solution for following the contours of flower beds or navigating around trees.
- Innovative fabricated mower decks offer commercial-style performance with heavy-duty pulleys. Greasable spindles and dual ball bearings provide for extra-smooth blade operation. Rear rollers and front gauge wheels allow for a clean cut with stunning results.
Attachments for Garden Tractors & Lawn Tractors
- Simplicity offers a variety of collection systems and grass catchers. Mulch kits and turbo attachments aid in removing yard waste in less time and are available on all models. Large catcher bags can be attached to larger models to quickly remove up to 10 bushels of yard waste.
- Dump carts, chains, and cargo beds are several multipurpose attachments Simplicity provides. The dump carts are sturdy, versatile, and easy to attach/detach. Tire chains and front/rear weights can aid in adding counter-weight and traction for heavy-duty tasks. Some models include a headlight for improved evening visibility.
- Avoid purchasing a separate expensive snow blower by taking advantage of the attachment available for all models of lawn and garden tractors. A single or double-stage snow blower makes shoveling a thing of the past. A dozer blade is also available for the lawn tractors.
- If you need earthwork or construction assistance, Simplicity’s ground-engaging attachments are just what you need. Dozer blades, tow-behind tillers, and thatchers can be attached to help make short work of extremely labor-intensive tasks. The yard and garden tractors can be equipped with a front loader that holds 500lbs or a scarifier to smooth the landscape.
Some images are from: https://www.simplicitymfg.com/na/en_us/home.html